Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Egoless Love

Love. What a great word. It's a shame that so many people are scared of it. Luv, lol, lurve... If you love someone...let them know!

Anyway.. Egoless love. One of my favourite quotes from one of my favourite books (The Prophet) is the following:


Love gives naught but itself and takes naught but from itself.

Love possesses not nor would it be possessed;

For love is sufficient unto love.


I realised recently that the only people I think I can say I've ever really loved is my family. I'd do anything for my family if they asked (and I thought it was fair!). I feel like I have understood what love is now - which is that love is a purely giving thing. I shall speak here of love in a boyfriend-girlfriend way - but I believe these thoughts apply to how one loves ones friends & environment too.... anyway..

Before with past girlfriends I've always tried to be decent upstanding sorta person, and to treat them well - in a loving manner. But I suppose in the back of my mind was always that I'd get something nice out of it all.

That is not love. It's loving (perhaps) in a way.. but not really love. When I was dumped (happened far too many times to keep track of ;) It always hurt quite a lot. .. and that is where the ego bit comes in (read the previous post).

If you truly love someone you give your love with no hope of reward. In a truly loving relationship your partner would take that love freely and give it back freely. This is what I am aiming for in my next relationship (should I be so lucky to end up in one!)... I will do my best to just love the person for who they are with no expectation of getting anything in return.

Or maybe this is all just a load of bollox 'cos it's valentines day soon and I don't have a date ;)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home